Welcome back. This week finds us with the second installment of the buttermilk chronicles. If you recall from last week, I had made a lovely biscuit recipe requiring buttermilk. I don’t know about you, but I don’t normally keep buttermilk in the house, so I had to get some for that recipe. The carton I bought had four cups of buttermilk in it, but the recipe only needed one. It would be great if I could get buttermilk in smaller containers, but since I wasn’t able to, I decided I wasn’t going to let the buttermilk go to waste.
I came up with a serious plan. I plotted out just how I was going to use the other cups of buttermilk. What I came up with was the following. Make one more version of the same biscuits from last week, make a different batch of biscuits for dinner that night, and make a dessert. All the recipes required buttermilk, and if I calculated correctly, I would be very close to using up all the buttermilk, which means I had a little bit extra, just in case. (By the way, when I was searching through recipes, I found several recipes which mentioned “using up extra buttermilk”. So I’m obviously not the only one with this issue.)
This recipe is based on the blue cheese scallion drop biscuits from my last post. Those went over so well, I thought I would make some more. I also wanted to use up the ingredients I had: lots of buttermilk (see above) and scallions.
I used five scallions (instead of the four in the recipe) in order to use what was left. I had run out of blue cheese, but I had a ton of feta, so I used feta. As with the blue cheese, it was conveniently one package for the 1 1/2 cups needed. The feta was much easier to crumble, however.
The other change is that this time I used gluten-free flour. Since I had already made these without any issues, I thought if I did them again, I would want to do something different. Yes, I had already decided to use feta, but I wanted to do something more adventurous. I had a ton of gluten-free flour and I was running out of regular flour, so I thought I would give it a shot. (Running out because all of the recipes in the buttermilk chronicles were made within a few days of each other.) I didn’t use my regular Trader Joe’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour as I had run out of that. I used what I had handy which was Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Flour. They suggest using xanthan gum with it, but I couldn’t immediately find any, so I thought I would just give it a shot without it.
They came together alright, but they were maybe a little too dry. I added in some extra buttermilk, a tablespoon or two, which I had available due to my careful calculations. After that the dough looked better. They were a different consistency. I might have also flattened the dough out differently. (They also looked like they expanded a bit more when they baked.) It’s also possible that it was due to a difference with the gluten-free flour.
They were as easy to put together as last time. My wife helped by cutting the scallions and doing the clean-up. (Thanks hon!) I baked them for 16 minutes. Eight minutes, then I rotated them top to bottom and front to back, and then eight more.
As a side note, I listened to the soundtrack to Hamilton while making this batch of biscuits. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s a Broadway rap-musical based on the life of Alexander Hamilton. Yes, that Alexander Hamilton. It’s absolutely amazing. My wife and I saw at as an anniversary present to ourselves a few weeks ago. (My wife had already seen it off-Broadway and insisted I see it as well.) It’s brilliantly crafted and brilliantly performed. For history junkies such as myself, it was an extra treat. If you haven’t seen it, I can’t encourage you enough to go see it. It’s well worth your time. Listening to the soundtrack made working on the biscuits extra fun.
So… back to the biscuits. After 16 minutes they weren’t quite ready. I baked them for another minute and a half. They seemed done at that point. They looked a little bit flatter and more like biscuit biscuits, instead of drop biscuits. (Some people had thought the previous ones were scones.)
And as far as the most important question: they were yummy! We ate them while they were still warm, but we did let them cool on the rack a little bit first. The feta was not nearly as strong as the blue cheese as far as smell or taste, but the biscuits were still delicious. They had a nice crunchy outside and a nice squishy inside. They seemed a little bit more savory somehow. They tasted like something else, and I couldn’t put my finger on it until I was almost done with one. They reminded me of spanakopita (spinach pie) because of the feta. They were yummy, yummy, yummy.
I didn’t get any thank you haikus this time, but everyone enjoyed them nonetheless. I can’t exactly put my finger on it, but there seemed to be a little difference between this gluten-free flour, and the one I normally use. I’ll have to try it in a few more recipes to see if I can put my finger on it. In the meantime, I’ll say this is one more recipe successfully adapted. And one more recipe successfully gluten-freeified. (Yes, that’s another industry term.) If you have any other biscuit recipes you love, gluten-free recipes I should know about, or great recipes for using up buttermilk, just let me know!
Recipe lightly adapted from smitten kitchen.